This page is for: 

Licensed tradespeople and professionals can work in their occupation in other states and territories in Australia.

AMR allows you to temporarily work in another state or territory using your original home licence.

Mutual recognition allows you to use your current licence to get a new licence when you move interstate.

The table below compares the two schemes to help you decide which option suits you.

AMR (Automatic Mutual Recognition) Mutual Recognition
Do not intend to relocate Intend to relocate, or have relocated
Do not get a local licence – given automatic deemed registration (ADR) Get a local licence
Simple notification form required Detailed notification form required
Do not pay an application fee Pay an application fee
Licensed activities must be equivalent Licensed occupations must be equivalent
Can only do what your interstate licence says Can do what your local licence says
Must renew and maintain original interstate licence Can let original interstate licence lapse
Available to Australian licence holders Available to Australian and New Zealand licence holders
Must comply with local legislation Must comply with local legislation
Find out more about AMR Find out more about mutual recognition

Mutual Recognition and AMR (automatic mutual recognition) are established under parts 3 and 3A of the Mutual Recognition Act 1992 (Cth). FAQs are available to answer any additional questions you have after looking at the scheme which applies to you. For further information about mutual recognition or automatic mutual recognition, contact Licensing Services on 1300 30 40 64 or mutualrecognition@dmirs.wa.gov.au.

Last modified: